Sun and Moon have very significant effect on life on earth. The very life on earth is powered by Sun and its unlimited supply of energy and if one is in tune with the movement of sun, health and wellbeing and vitality can be ensured.
Surya Namaskar or Sun salutation is the ancient technique of expressing gratitude to the source of ultimate energy on earth.
Just knowing the postures of Surya namaskar is not all, instead having a deeper understanding will bring greater physical and psychological benefits of this powerful yogic technique.
It is a set of 12 yoga asanas which bring your body, breath and mind together. When performed in the morning, it revitalizes your body and refreshes your mind, leaves you feeling energetic throughout the course of the day.
Some of the many health benefits of Surya namaskar are
- Tones muscles-Strengthens abdominal muscles joints, ligament, as well as the skeletal system. The movements can also help improve the flexibility of your spine.
- Weight Management– Surya namaskar can give you excellent cardiovascular workout helping you to lose weight and also helps burn extra calories
- Alleviates depression and improves sleep – It helps to restore vitality, an effective antidote for stress & depression and greatly help to overcome emotional disturbances.
- Improves Skin health – Improves flexibility of muscles, refreshes the skin and prevents skin disorders.
- Prevents hair fall– It can effectively boost blood circulation and prevent hairfall, hair graying and improved hair growth.
- Smooth kidney function– Regular practice enhances the circulation of blood throughout the body and encourages the kidney to function smoothly. at the same time the blood is given an additional flush and filter through the kidneys.
- Corrects hormonal balance – hormones play an important role in well-being and slightest imbalance may result in upsetting the health. Surya namaskar harmonizes this system helping to remove any irregularities by directly massaging the relevant glands and improving their blood flow.
- Better Digestion– The abdominal organs and stomach are alternately stretched and compressed with every cycle of Surya namaskar. This ensures effective digestion and hence prevents disturbances related to indigestion.
- Helps detox– Surya Namaskar has a deep effect in detoxifying the organs through oxygenation and has a deeper relaxing effect.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purpose only. Please consult a qualified doctor before taking any decisions regarding recommendations in the article or for more information.
- Omkar SN (2012) Surya Namaskaar for Holistic Well Being: A Comprehensive Review of Surya Namaskaar. J Yoga Phys Ther 2:e109.
- Balaji P A, Varne SR, Ali SS. Physiological effects of yogic practices and transcendental meditation in health and disease. North Am J Med Sci 2012;4:442-8